If a home lasts long enough, it will eventually need a roof replacement. Though millions of Americans get their roofs replaced each year, there is still a bit of ambiguity about what is required when contemplating a roof replacement. One of the more important requirements is employing a roofing contractor who is reputable and has the specific experience that your roofing project requires. When you are in search of a roofing contractor in Bainbridge, IN, it is important that you ask the right questions during your free estimate in order to gain an overall understanding of what to expect before, during and after your project is completed. Provided in the sections below is an overview of the roofing process if you have additional questions or would like to schedule your free estimate, give our team a call today.
Strategies to Find The Roofing Contractor You Need
Finding the roofing contractor in Bainbridge, IN that is best for your specific roofing needs will require some due diligence on your behalf. The easiest path to finding a contractor is to solicit referrals from friends, family or neighbors. This group of people represents a trusted cohort that can show you real-time results and give honest opinions of their roofing contractors’ work. However, in many cases, a direct referral is not possible and you will have to conduct your own independent research on roofing contractors of interest. It is recommended that you schedule two to three free estimates in order to compare contractors, service, and pricing overall. Once you have chosen a contractor that you wish to work with, there are a few questions that you should ask which are detailed in the section below.
Questions to Ask Your Roofer
Asking your potential roofing contractor the right questions can save you time, money and potential agony. Listed below are some of the more important recommended questions to ask your roofing contractor before you sign any contracts.
- Can you provide me with proof of insurance? In the State of Indiana, roofing contractors are not required to be licensed. Thus, it is important that you ensure that they are appropriately covered in case of any accidents during construction.
- Who will get the building permits? In most instances your roofing contractor will secure the building permits for you, however, there are rare cases in which the homeowner will have to obtain the permit themselves. It is important to have an understanding upfront.
- Can you provide me with references? Proof that customers are willing to vouch for a roofing contractor can go a long way in building trust and credibility.
- How will we handle communication during construction? If you are in danger of going over budget or there is a delay in construction, it is imperative that you have an understanding of how these issues will be communicated upfront.
- What warranties do you offer? Roofing contractors typically offer a material warranty as well as a warranty on craftsmanship. Ensure that you garner a complete understanding of what each warranty covers as well as what actions and/or inactions that can potentially void the warranty.
While there are plenty more questions that can be asked of your roofing contractor, the aforementioned are absolutely critical to ask.
What to Expect During Construction
During the construction phase, you can expect for construction level noises, a moderately sized work crew, as well as equipment and a large trash bin on your property. Construction will typically last anywhere from one to three days depending on the complexity and size of your specific roof. In addition, inclement weather can delay roofing projects, though your roofer will more than likely attempt to schedule around it. While construction is taking place, you can stay at home, just be prepared for construction activities and sounds during the day. If you have younger children or animals that are sensitive to noise, it will be best to house them elsewhere during the hours of construction. Once your roof is completed you can expect to have a walk through with your roofing contractor where you will have an opportunity to inspect their work and ask questions.
Benefits of Replacing Your Roof
Replacing your roof not only increases the curb appeal of your home, but it also can add significant value to your home. In some cases, attempting to sell your home without first replacing your roof can put you at a severe disadvantage in the marketplace. In addition, depending on the type of material that you choose, your roof replacement can help you to save on heating and cooling cost year round. The money spent on your roof should be seen more as an investment and not an expense. In addition to the financial and aesthetic appeal of a new roof, it can also increase the safety of your home and help to protect the valuables and inhabitants under it.
Maintaining Your Roof
In order to reap the full benefits of your newly replaced roof, it is recommended that you have your roof inspected twice a year, once before winter and once before summer. In addition, stay vigilant of any leaks or visible debris on your roof. Ensure that you address small problems before they become large and expensive problems in the future. In addition, your warranty may be voided if you do not keep up an appropriate maintenance schedule and/or you neglect to clear debris in a timely manner.
If you are in search of a reputable roofing contractor in Bainbridge, IN that is highly rated and well experienced with a variety of roofing materials, give our dedicated customer service team at Jackson Contracting a call today to schedule your free estimate. We pride ourselves in offering trustworthy, reliable and professional roofing services and look forward to hearing from you soon.