Metal roofs are one of the most durable of all roofing materials. Just as any other material, they will sometimes require repairs. These repairs can stem from poor installation, normal wear and tear, or failure to preserve your roof. We have outlined the most common metal roof repairs and strategies for preserving the integrity and beauty of your roof. This article is a great place to start. It is also recommended to contact an expert in metal roof repair in Indianapolis to learn more about your specific questions.
Most Common Metal Roof Repairs
Roof repairs can be a true pain in the neck for a homeowner. The most common types of repairs needed can range from leaks to having your roof blown off. While it is tempting to make these repairs yourself I would urge you against it for a variety of reasons to include the potential of voiding your warranty, making the problem worse or causing bodily harm to yourself. The best solution is to recognize the issue and then call a reputable metal roof repair contractor in Indianapolis. The most common metal roof repairs include:
- Leaking: Ever notice a wet spot in the drywall of your ceiling during or after a storm? This is more than likely caused by a leak. Leaks can be caused by the metal being pierced, bad installation or corrosion.
- Corrosion: Metal can corrode due to age, improper coating of the material, or due to being mixed with another metal that reacts negatively.
- Color Change: This issue will not affect the effectiveness of your metal roof. It is commonly called chalking or fading. It may, however, be an eyesore for you as well as your neighbors. This can potentially lower the value of your property due to it negatively affecting the “curb appeal” of your home.
- Instability: If you have noticed that your roof seems to be uncharacteristically shaky during a storm then it may be unstable. This can lead to your roof blowing off during extreme winds.
If you have identified any of these issues, it is imperative that you contact a professional contractor to help you in solving this problem before it spreads and/or affects the rest of your home.
Preserving Your Metal Roof
A great characteristic of metal roofs is that they require minimal maintenance in comparison to other materials. However, there are some methods to ensure that your roof is not exposed to risk of unnecessary repairs. Optimally, you should inspect your roof bi-annually at a minimum.
- Regularly clean your roof: When you notice debris, leaves, tree branches, etc. on your roof it is recommended to remove these items regularly. If they stay on your roof for too long they will be an unnecessary catalyst to your roof being punctured, corroding, or fading.
- Clean Your Gutters: If your gutters are clogged then they will more than likely harbor unwanted pools of water that will eventually cause corrosion as well as items that can potentially puncture and scratch your roof.
- Check for loose screws: Loose screws can lead to an unstable roof structure. This can contribute to damage during heavy winds and inclimate weather. If you replace a screw, make sure that it is made with a metal that does not react negatively to the metal that you have on your roof currently.
Cost of Metal Roof Repairs
Metal roof repairs can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. This will all be contingent upon the issue that you are experiencing, the type of metal and style of roof as well as your geography. It is recommended to contact a metal roof contractor in Indianapolis for an estimate. Most all estimate are free and will at minimum give you a ballpark figure of the potential cost that you may incur.